Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gen Con 2010 Ritual of the Unnameable

Sunday's only event was a Ritual of the Unnameable.  I had two RotU decks made before GenCon, a BAD Architect deck and a BAT Monarch deck.  I got an idea for an Ascended OMG deck, but did not have time to pull it together before the event.  I ended up playing the BAT deck, which I have fun playing.

Nine people showed up for the tournament, so there were four rounds of 3 3-player games scheduled.  My first game was against Red and his CDCA deck and someone else's Monarch BAD deck (I think.  It's amazing how much I forget in two weeks.)  I was able to win this game with the Thunder Bird in Butterfly Armor leading the winning attack against Red's Devil Mountain.

In the next round, I faced Josh's Monkeys In Black deck, and I think another BAD deck.  If memory serves (which I would not bet on at this point), Josh won this game.

The third round I faced Willow's PMS Jammer deck and Daniel's CAD Architect deck.  Willow won the game, but I had one of my favorite in game moments here.  On Daniel's turn, he played an Abomination Serum on my Butterfly Knight.  In response, I played Bear vs. Fox to start a Faceoff with Dr. Klaus Herrbruck.  Daniel tried to save the good Dr. with a Cellular Reinvigoration, which I Brain Fired onto the Butterfly Knight.  The Knight won the Faceoff and played Daniel's Arcanovirus to smoke Willow's Professional Killer.  I love being able to mess with other peoples plans in unexpected ways.  It is one of the best parts of the game.  Later in the game, Daniel attack me to the right.  I told him was going to use everything to stop him and leave the board open for Willow.  He continued with the attack.  I stopped him.  Willow won.  (Willow, I have one of your Safety Third cards from this event.)

After this Willow left thinking the tournament was only three rounds.  So for the final round, I ended up in a four player game with Braz, playing a DIE Lotus deck; Joey, playing a PIS Monarch deck, and Red again.  I'll give Braz credit for playing the most interesting deck in the tournament.  I started fast, but could not maintain the momentum.  Red cleared the board with an Arcanovirus, and I couldn't come back.  We went to time.  It was a fun game, but I don't remember who won.  Josh, I believe, won the tournament.

I apologize for the inaccuracies that I am sure are this report.  By this time all events were blurring together along with who I was playing and what decks were being played.  Any corrections people have are more than welcome.

Blood And Thunder

Foundation (12)
Thunder Gladiator x5
Thunder Knight x7

Characters (14)
Thunder Squire x4
Thunder Captain
Butterfly Knight x4
Bonebreaker Jun x2
Thunder Bird x2
Avenging Darkness

Events (15)
Blood and Thunder x5
Bear vs. Fox x2
Tiger vs. Crane
Brain Fire x3
Blood Lust x3
Avenging Thunder

States (3)
Thunder Sword
Butterfly Armor
Bandolier of Throwing Knives

Edges (2)
The Book of Wrath
Blanket of Darkness

Sites (2)
Thunder Pagoda vPAP
The Thunder Dome

FSS (13)
Birdhouse Cafe
Bird Sanctuary
Blessed Orchard
Ancient Stone Arch
Temple of the Angry Spirits
Temple of the Monkey King
The Blue Moon Club
Thousand Sword Mountain
Turtle Island x2
Turtle Beach x2
The Pinnacles

A simple straight forward attack deck.  Build an army and attack using Blood and Thunder to pump it up and avoid a lot of redirection / damage reduction denial.  In this tournament, I avoided redirection from Devil's Mountain, and damage reduction from Diamond Beach and Puzzle Garden.  About half the games I have won with this deck have been with the Thunder Bird with Butterfly Armor.  I really like that this deck lends itself to the out of faction Faceoff events. 

No comments:

Post a Comment