Monday, August 16, 2010

Gen Con 2010 Draft

Friday morning was the draft event.  Eighteen players showed up to draft from Six Guns & Shurikens, Critical Shift, and Empire of Evil.  Seven boosters were drafted with two foundation pods and one Feng Shui pod being provided after the draft.  The structure of the draft was somewhat disappointing.  We drafted in groups of three, which meant you were sure to get stuck with lots of cards out of the main factions you were drafting.  You would also see a much smaller card pool from which to draft.  I would have preferred to draft in groups of six.  The second problem was that the tournament rounds were setup as two separate groups of nine players.  So the nine players of group A never played against the nine players of group B.  It gave the feeling that even though we could not play all other players, you could not control your destiny.  At least there were enough players within each group so that you never played against the same opponent more than once.  A more personal annoyance was that the first round of games was with the same three people with whom you drafted.  You pretty much knew what you were in for the first round.  In draft I expect a greater element of surprise.

I drafted Jammer / Hand and when I was done found that I had good amount of Architect as well.

Draft Deck:

Foundation (11):
Kamikaze Cosmonauts
Suicide Squad
Edge Warrior x2
Mad Scientist x2 (I am fuzzy on this foundation,  It's listed to be in Pods but I don't remember)
Rebel without a Cause
Dump Warrior x2
Willow Warriors
Celestials

Characters (10):
Dr. Quentin Higginsbotham
Tunnel King
Turing Machine
Potemkin's Brigade
Andy Di
Monkey Pirates
Cyborg Mermaid
Johnny Amok
Jayne Insane
Shihong

Events (9):
Isothermal Zodiac x2
Out of the Barrel x3
Ape Shall Kill Ape
Auspicious Thermite
The Willow Bends... x2

States (7):
Fingertip Razors
Buzzsaw Arm
Explosive Motorcycle
Steam-Powered Tricycle
Single-Action Devolver
Shurikens
Simple Paper Fan

Sites (2):
Hot Zone
Mountain Monastery

FSS(10):
Ancient Stone Arch
University Library
Forgotten Temple
Moon Base
Mirrored Lake
Arctic Fortress
Endless Corridor
Grove of Willows
Family Home
Blessed Orchard

I only won one of the four round I played in.  The first round Josh Shadowy Mentored my Turing Machine (which I should have seen coming).  After that he was able to push ahead to win.  The second round, I got SEVEN power from an attack on my Grove of Willows.  Some how, I squandered that advantage, and failed to win.  The third round Shihong attacked as time was called an just took the last site needed for the win.  I am drawing a complete blank on the fourth and final round.

No comments:

Post a Comment