Monday, August 16, 2010

Gen Con 2010 Comrades in Arms

Saturday night was the Comrades in Arms tournament.  To me this was a fun, relaxed event.  I am interested in the deck designs and designator choices.  I choose an old standby Monkey deck.  I wanted to try Beast but the card pool is too small (Alpha Beast, Beta Beast, Gamma Beast, Paradox Beast, Jigsaw Beast, Roar of the Beast, and Tomb of the Beast) with some marginal cards.  Nine people showed up for the tournament, which had four rounds.  So everyone played everyone once.

First round was Braz and John Wengler.  Braz was playing his Paradox deck from Origins, and John was playing a Darkness deck, which he had played earlier in the World Championship.  At one point, John attacked me to the right to try to get a vulnerable site.  Braz then Discerning Fired and had I wide open board.  John and I couldn't muster a defense.  Braz won.

Second round, I played John Monnett and Josh Kronengold.  John had a gun deck, and Josh had a Pawn deck, which I think was the most unique designator in the event.  I came out hard and fast and was able to overwhelm them.  When Josh got his Stand Together in play, it became more difficult, but I still pulled it off.  Two Buffalo Soldiers helped keep the Monkey horde safe in this game.

Third round, I played Tim Lindon and Jeremy Dale.  Tim's deck I think was a Rebel deck and Jeremy had a Student Deck.  Again, the Monkey horde was able to overwhelm the opposition and claim victory.  I am foggy on the specifics of the the game, however.

Final round, I faced off against Red and Daniel.  It turned out that Red was the only other player with two wins going into this round.  So in a way, this game was a true final unless Daniel won.  Red was playing a Fire deck, and Daniel had a Secret Deck.  This was a long game with lots of sites (mostly mine) being burned.  In the end, time was called just after I played Potlatch to get enough power to launch an attack against Daniel.  When the points were tabulated, Red came in first for the tournament, Josh sneaked into second, and I was third by a single game point.  If I hadn't played Potlatch, I would have been second.  Oh well, it was still a fun tournament.

Deck Eunuch Monkeys

Foundation (11)
Big Macaque Attack x5
Marmojet x5
Rebel Without a Cause

Characters (12)
Brass Monkey x2
Funkey Monkey x2
Furious George vPAP
Gorilla Fighter x2
Buffalo Soldier x2
Orango Tank
Wild Gorillas
Monkey Pirates

Events (18)
"There's Always One More" x4
Close Call
The Ape is Loose! x2
Who's the Monkey Now? x3
IKTV Special Report
Scrounging x5
Potlatch x2

State (1)
Single Action Devolver

Edges (2)
Mo' Monkeys, Mo' Problems
Payback Time

Sites (3)
Ape City
Bomb Factory
Genocide Lounge

FSS (13)
Eagle Mountain x4
Monkey House x3
Proving Ground x5
Whirlpool of Blood

This deck is simple play monkeys and attack.  Use Proving Grounds to pump out the two cost Monkeys.  Generate power through Monkey House, Scrounging, and non-FSS sites.  Recycle Monkeys with There's Always One More.  Worst case is you get a Marmojet or a Buffalo Soldier, either of which will help the Macaques.  For the CiA tournament I subbed in 2 extra Who's the Monkey Now? for Close Calls.  Discerning Fires can wreak this deck by taking out monkeys or Proving Grounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment