Monday, March 5, 2012

Piece a the Action

Here is the deck I built for Plattecon 2012 Who's the Big Cheese Now!?!

Piece a the Action

Foundation
Student of the Bear x3
Black Helicopter Squad x5
The Pledged x4

Characters
Corrupt Bookie x 5
Gunslinger x5
Jan Zvireci
Shinobu Yashida
Adrienne Hart
The Unspoken Name
Rainmaker Floyd
“Monkey” Chang
The She-Wolf
Claws
The Eastern King

Events
Bite of the Jellyfish x2
Mole Network x4
Operation Killdeer x4
The Golden Spike
Faked Death

State
Shadowy Mentor

Edge
Spin Doctoring

Sites
Opium Den
Family Estate x4
Battle Arena x2

FSS
Plain of Ash
City Hospital x2
Sacred Heart Hospital
Jade Palace of the Dragon King
Endless Corridor
The Iron Palace
Turtle Beach
City Square
Kinoshita House of Pancakes
Festival Circle
Martyr’s Tomb

This deck came from trying to use Red Wedding Ascended cards.  For a long time none of the cards spoke to me for a good deck concept.  The ReAscended looked too unreliable for resources.  Rebecca Dupress has a decent ability, but being Unique would limit possibilities.  I would also need to multifaction to get the best states.  Lodge Machinations was tempting, but I wasn’t ready to give up Pledged cards yet.  The Broken Wheel Brigade was intriguing.  If combined with Wisdom of the Owl, can you build a deck that will recycle enough cards to get reliable punch through with the Brigades?  I was not up to that challenge yet.  The Corrupt Bookie looked like an unreliable card that I had to play marginal events to get any mileage out of it.  Then I saw the Gunslinger.  Here are two Pledged characters that can generate 3 power a turn if I have one of each in play.  From that I made this deck.

So I have two Pledged characters that are going to generate a lot of power through Faceoffs.  Obviously, I need Family Estates.  Next I wanted cards to make the Gunslingers have Faceoffs every turn.  So I added healing effects and damage reduction: City Hospital, Sacred Hearts Hospital, Jade Palace, Opium Den, and Battle Arenas.  Since my combo is character driven I wanted a couple ways to recycle it: Faked Death, Martyr’s Tomb, and Spin Doctor combined with Plain of Ash.  I threw in a bunch of non-Lodge hitters for spending the power.  Finally, looking at the large number of non-FSS, it looked like a large site structure could be maintained.  This let me include the Golden Spike.

Future changes to the deck may include adding Lotus to allow for the Death Ring.  Throwing Black Helicopter Squads into the Death Ring and betting against them sounds very profitable.

Any comments or suggested improvements would be appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun deck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eastern King FTW! if you add lotus, I think the EK would have to go, and that would be sad but I think there is no other character in the game with as big a target on his chest than the EK (except for maybe the Iron Monkey).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried a slightly cut down (to 55 cards) version of the deck in the NYC PG for CIA. Was fun to play, and "came out" each game, generally with Unspoken Name, Adrienne, or both, but could not quite keep up with the pack. IN this game, people were happy to suicide their weenies into teh gunslinger -- win or lose -- to avoid giving me extra power. Drawing Family Estates early was pretty key to doing fairly well, even so.

    The idea of slipping in some Lotus, for Death Ring (and then, of course, because you can, Evil Twin, Tortured memories, and possibly secret pact, or Shrieking witch Heads), is tickling at me, but it would surely take the deck out of CIA.

    One interesting thought: since it was CIA, and since it always seems like everyone runs Discerning Fire in CIA, I ran two of the anti-magic card events. Used one against Shihong!

    ReplyDelete