Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Casual Play Report

After a long hiatus due to a little family accident, I was able to get together with Willow and Tim for a few games.

Game 1:
Willow played her willing deck from Plattecon featuring Jade Willow.
Tim played his standard detonating Destroyer deck.
I played a 7 Masters / Ascended deck that I was going to take to Plattecon.  I'll post the deck later.

Willow got out the White Ninja but wasn't able to muster enough fighting to take a site.  Tim Tortured Memories the Ninja and burned Willow's front row site for power.  This let Willow drop Jade Willow for free.  I dropped the Queen of the Ice Pagoda (old) and attacked the Ninja.  We exchanged Monkey Fools the Tiger and both characters were smoked.  Jade Willow then got Fortune of the Turtle and went on a rampage.  Shortly after that Willow won the game. 

Game 2:
I played a Darkness Deck,
Willow played a Syndicate Deck
Tim played a Dragon Deck

Willow got a fairly fast start using a Bird Sanctuary to good effect to get an early Song, the Little Dragon.  I could not get a second Monarch resource to save my life.  By the time Tim was able to play a Big Bruiser, Willow had Hirake Kazuko in play, which would make the Big Bruiser a big mistake.  Again, Willow was able to win this game in short order.

Game 3:
I played a Jammer Deck,
Willow played an Architect Tank Deck,
Tim played an Ascended Tentacles of the Squid Deck.

On Tim's first turn, he played a Gangster and attacked Willow's undefended Feng Shui Site.  I played Out of the Barrel to drop a free Cocktail Waiters.  I joined the attack with the Waiters and Just Another Consumer.  I thought putting 5 damage on the site would soften it nicely for me to take it next turn.  Nope, it was a Maze of Stairs!  Tim got a burn for power on his first turn.  Fortunately, for Willow and me, he could not get a second resource right away.  I was able to get some more cheap characters and burn Tim's front row site and was lucky that Tim did not have a Bite when I burned it for power.  After that I was able to roll to a quick win.

Game 4:
Tim played Willow's championship Punchy Hand deck
Willow played her Monarch/Dragon deck
I played an Ascended Wisdom of the Owl / Discard deck

I was able to play a Wisdom of the Owl on my first turn.  Willow and Tim attacked it repeatedly, but were foiled with multiple Operation Killdeers.  I used a Coral Reef, Coil of the Snake, and the Palace of Virtual Light to cycle through my deck to get to some big characters.  Finally I got Adrianne Hart and went for the win.  I was decimated with the denial that came out.  Willow came on strong with the Queen of the Ice Pagoda (new) with an Ice Sword.  She took some of my sites over then next few turns, but stalled at victory conditions.  Tim had two damaged sites in his front row, and Willow's front row site was also damaged.  I was able to superleap "El Tigre" over the Queen to take Willow's site.  I then played a site to put me at victory.  I then dropped Liquidators and Tentacles of the Squid who were up to 10 damage at this point.  They were able to take a site from Tim for the win. 

Overall a fun night after not playing for 3 months.

3 comments:

  1. Can I ask a couple of questions, mostly metagame-y stuff.

    How long did each game go for? Four games in one night, just curious as to how long the whole thing took.

    And you name a few big characters, are they only the characters that caused winnage, or were around for final battles, or are your games generally over once a few people have some meat on the table?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These games were all fairly quick. Mostly once one person got out to a lead the other players folded quickly. This is not typical. It seemed like there were a lot of bad starts which caused lopsided games. I think we got all four games done in about 3 hours. There were a few other significant characters in play, but since I don't write down turn-by-turn details, my summaries are usually highlights.
    Game 3 also saw BattleChimp and a Sting of the Scorpion on the table. BattleChimp is nice with Out of the Barrel. Opponent attacks. Play Out of the Barrel to bring BattleChimp in play for 3. Use the Battle Chimp's ability to play the same Out of the Barrel again to put a spud in play for cheap.
    Game 4 Willow also had Ting Ting in play at one point. Tim had the Silent Cowboy out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Jade Willow deck is super fast.

    Game 2, in addition to starting with a Bird Sanctuary, I soon got out the Wireless, and was putting lots more fighting on the board than anyone else.

    Game 3 I felt fairly stalled for resources. I was never able to get a tank in play. Jim's Out of the Barrel engine put a lot of beef out there, and Tim and I couldn't cope.

    Game 4 was where Tim had a Fox Pass- I spent most of my effort trying to get around that damn thing.

    ReplyDelete