Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ascended Empire of Evil Sampler Deck

This deck uses all Ascended cards from Empire of Evil except for Horus, the ReAscended hitter who needs more of a specialty deck. The two points that were emphasized were adding a wider variety of events to help the Tentacles of the Squid and having lots of discard effects to get the most out of the Wisdom of the Owl. Both paid off. I had to discard a large portion of my deck to get to my hitters. If the deck had not been designed for additional discards, I never would have gotten to them. The game winning attack was with a Tentacle doing 10 damage, which was enough to prevent healing and redirection tricks from preventing him from taking the site.

Foundation (13)
Whelps x3
The Pledged x5
Student of the Bear x4
Liquidators

Characters (12)
Wisdom of the Owl x2
Tentacles of the Squid x2
G-Man
The Petrified Man
Hunger of the Jackal x2
Adrienne Hart
Juan “El Tigre” Velasquez
Natraj Thalnasser
The She-Wolf

Events (15)
Red Tape Assault x2
Murder by Night
Operation Killdeer x5
Spy Network
Cover Operations
Bite of the Jellyfish
Mole Network
Realpolitik
Cry of the Forgotten Ancestor
“Throw Me the Idol”

States (4)
Embrace of the Snake x2
Compromised Security x2

Edges (3)
Delaying Tactics x2
Paper Trail

Sites (4)
Family Estate x3
The Bazaar

FSS(13)
Palace of Virtual Light
Boot Hill
Perpetual Motion Machine
Coral Reef x2
Dragon Graveyard x2
Tangram Alley
Ominous Swamp
Mobius Garden
Monkey House
Field of Tentacles

After the fact, I realized that Murder by Night does not combo with the Tentacles since it becomes Toast It.

4 comments:

  1. Did you get any play out of Delaying Tactics or Embrace of the Snake or Red Tape Assault? The last two especially, with their slow-down tactic, I'd be interested to know if they had any appreciable effect, and if you thought their costs were appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delaying Tactics worked once to free up a site for "El Tigre" to attack on my next turn. I should have used it a turn earlier to stop Ting Ting from attacking, but I forgot that it was in play. Embrace of the Snake would have been useful if Queen of the Ice Pagoda had not been in play. I ended up tossing it out on another player's characters for no effect. I did not regret having it in the deck. It can be very good, but if not, it rarely clogs your hand. Red Tape Assault I drew too early in the game, and Wisdom of the Owl sent it to the bottom of the deck for later use. I never got back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's some good events I use in my Tentacle deck that you're missing:

    Faked Death, Lateral Reincarnation, Moonlight Raid, Suicide Mission, We Know Where You Live, and Bull Market. Right now, I only run 2 Killdeers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, if I had been running a tuned Tentacles deck, I would have thrown in some of those. In reflection, I am surprised I didn't use Moonlight Raid and Lateral Reincarnation. With only two Tentacles in the deck, however, I couldn't justify having fewer Killdeers. They certainly kept Wisdom in play for a couple extra turns.

    ReplyDelete